Turnovers cost Tigers in loss

Friday, September 7, 2018
Green Forest's Abel Salazar (77) and Trey Curbow (68) try to create running room for a Tiger running back Friday night.
Charles Chappell / www.PhotoShelter.com/CCImages

The Green Forest Tigers and Yellville-Summit Panthers combined to turn the ball over nine times Friday night. The last one cost Green Forest its last chance to get a victory.

After forcing a turnover on downs with 2:15 remaining in the game, Green Forest had the ball at its 31, but a Tiger pass was intercepted and the Panthers were able to run out the clock and get the 14-7 road victory.

"It was a pretty sloppy game for both teams," Green Forest coach Bobby Bishop said. "We just made more mistakes and that cost us the game. Hopefully, we can learn from it and move on."

The Tigers received the opening kickoff and advanced the ball to the Yellville-Summit 19, but an interception ended the Tiger drive.

The Panthers went on a 64-yard, 15-play drive, but it ended at the Green Forest 5 yard line, as Slayden Shaffer fumbled and Reiley Gordon fell on top of it for the Tigers with 2:55 remaining in the first quarter.

Green Forest's lone score of the game came with 8:03 remaining in the second quarter when Jordan Zepeda scored from 10 yards out. Franklin Morales made the extra point. The Tigers converted three third-down plays on the drive. Zepeda had 52 yards on the drive and finished the game with 81.

"We have a good stable of running backs with Jordan, Genaro (Ochoa), Braedyn Gilliam and even Jordy DeLeon got in there and got some big runs, but Jordan is our workhorse and he ran the ball well tonight," Bishop said.

After each team was forced to punt, the Panthers got the ball at their own 46 with 3:17 remaining. Eli Cage completed a pass to Cody Dobbs, putting Yellville-Summit in the red zone, but Adrian Serna intercepted a pass and the Tigers had a 7-0 lead at halftime.

"For the most part, the defense did play well tonight," Bishop said. "We had a few breakdowns and some missed tackles, but they were hustling."

With eight minutes remaining in the third quarter, the Tigers fumbled the ball at midfield and Shaffer returned it to the Tiger 2-yard line. Shaffer scored a play later. The Panthers missed the extra point. Yellville-Summit then successfully recovered an onside kick, but was unable to take advantage, as Green Forest's Carter Boggs recovered a fumble. Green Forest advanced the ball to the Panther 11, but Morales missed a 28-yard field goal try.

On the next play, Cagle found Dobbs for an 80-yard touchdown pass. Shaffer converted the two-point conversion and the Panthers led 14-7 with 1:27 remaining in the third quarter.

"It was just a blown assignment," Bishop said. "It's just something we will have to show the kids in film and it's something we know we will have to work on moving forward."

Yellville-Summit attempted another onside kick, but the Panthers touched it before it went 10 yards. Green Forest was forced to punt, though. On the ensuing drive. Green Forest stopped Yellville-Summit on fourth down giving the Tigers one final shot, but they were unable to take advantage.

To go along with Zepeda's 81 yards rushing, Gilliam had 67.

On Friday, Green Forest travels to Commerce, Okla. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: