Be it resolved ...
As 2017 draws to a close, itís a time to reflect on the last 365 days. Itís also a chance to look forward to 2018 and think about some of the things weíd like to accomplish in the next 365 days.
With that in mind, hereís a look at some of my New Yearís Resolutions, in no particular order. Some of them are more serious than others, but Iíll leave that for you to judge.
1. Spend more time with my sons and grandsons. And my new daughter-in-law, too.
2. Go to bed a little earlier.
3. Get to work a little earlier, too.
4. Not climb Mount Everest. This is a perennial on my list, and so far itís a resolution Iíve managed to keep despite a close call in 1996.
5. Eat more steak.
6. Eat less fast food.
7. Spend more time watching baseball on TV.
8. Get out of the house and watch a little live baseball, too.
9. Watch my Chicago Cubs win another World Series. This one may not happen in 2018, but itís coming.
10. Take advantage of Berryvilleís outstanding community center more.
11. Spend more time enjoying the natural beauty of Eureka Springs and the rest of Carroll County.
12. Spend less time paying attention to people bashing our newspapers.
13. Keep in mind that some of the loudest bashers have a personal axe to grind.
14. Bring home another plaque for first place in general excellence at the Arkansas Press Associationís annual newspaper contest and match the 30 individual awards that our staff won in 2017. Thatís right. Bash that.
15. Continue to produce quality publications for the people of Carroll County so they can be informed about whatís going on in their communities.
16. Not spend one minute rooting for the St. Louis Cardinals. Maybe the easiest resolution on this list.
17. Keep my kitchen clean.
18. Change the oil. Seriously.
19. Drink more water. And more coffee. That will be a trick.
20. Watch less Fox News. OK, maybe there is something I despise more than the Cardinals. This is one resolution I will ace.
21. Go fishing 20 times in 2018.
22. Check out Crystal Bridges.
23. Do something about that savings account.
24. Go to Lucky Dragon more often. Iím not even kidding.
26. Go to a Cubs game at Wrigley Field with my family.
27. Go to a Cubs game in Kansas City.
28. Spend more time outside.
29. Work a little harder to manage my arthritis.
30. When someone who is consistently rude and unpleasant leaves a nasty voicemail, donít respond in the same tone. They were just kidding. Right.
31. Absolutely, under no circumstances text and drive.
32. Put those clean clothes away.
33. Spend a weekend at an Arkansas state park.
34. Watch the Arkansas basketball team make a serious run in the NCAA Tournament.
35. Continue to enjoy and appreciate the fact that I get to live in a beautiful place and come to work every day with people who work hard and care about each other.
ē ē ē
Scott Loftis is managing editor for Carroll County Newspapers. His email address is CarrollCountyNews@cox-internet.com.