Injured ES firefighter released from hospital

Tuesday, September 22, 2015

Eureka Springs firefighter Rod Wasson has been released from a Springfield hospital where he was treated after being injured in an Aug. 29 residential fire.

Eureka Springs Fire Chief Randy Ates said in a Sept. 17 email that Wasson had been discharged from the burn unit at Mercy Hospital in Springfield, Mo.

"Wasson is returning to the Fort Smith area to stay with his parents while he recuperates," Ates said. "He will be going to outpatient therapy to regain his strength and lung function.

"This is a marvelous leap ahead in Wasson's healing. There was anticipation that he would have to stay in a regular hospital room for at least a week and then be sent to a rehab hospital. This is an exciting turn of events with his recovery moving so rapidly."

Ates said Wasson expressed appreciation the community's support and prayers.

"When told that over 70,000 people had read one of his status reports on Facebook, Wasson shook his head in amazement and mumbled repeatedly 'I just can't believe it, I just can't believe it. People are so caring.' "

Ates said a GoFundMe account that was established for Wasson has been closed. The funds are being transferred through Eureka Springs Volunteer Fire Department and will be presented to Wasson shortly, he said.

Additional donations are continuing to come to the fire station and are still very welcome, Ates said.

"We appreciate the collection taken up by Gravette Fire Department, the generous donation by Berryville Fire Department's volunteers, and the check presented by Faith Christian Church of Eureka Springs," Ates said.

The investigation into Wasson's injury is concluding and the results will be released shortly, according to Ates.

Wasson was injured while fighting a house fire on Grand Avenue in Eureka Springs. Wasson's breathing regulator became dislodged and fellow firefighter Josh Beyler had to remove him from the residence.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: