Tigers lose double-OT heartbreaker

Friday, December 12, 2014

Sometimes four quarters isn't enough to settle a basketball game. Most times, the first overtime settles the game. This wasn't the case when Mountain View beat Green Forest 63-61 in double-overtime Friday night in Green Forest.

With 56 seconds remaining in regulation, Green Forest's Gavin Nelson made a deep three-pointer to cut what had been a four-point Mountain View lead to one at 45-44. On the ensuing Mountain View possession, Caleb Lucas fouled Brandon Trammell, who made one of two free throws to make it 46-44. Without any timeouts, the Tigers dribbled up the court and missed a three-point shot. Luis Lopez got the rebound, missed the first opportunity, but got his own rebound and made the putback with one second remaining to send the game into overtime.

"That was big time by my sophomore Luis Lopez to get that rebound and put that in there like that," Green Forest Coach Brandon Stone said. "It really showed his maturity for such a young kid."

In the first overtime, the Yellowjackets got out to an early 52-49 lead, but after a three-point play by Brandon Hogan, the game was tied once again with 1:50 remaining. After Ethan Wilson drove the lane and was fouled, he made one of two free throws, and Hogan answered back with a drive to the basket of his own, making both of his free throws with one minute to go, and giving the Tigers a 54-53 lead. John Isbell answered back within seconds, nailing a three-pointer. After a missed layup by Green Forest, Isbell made one of two free throws with 30 seconds left. After a Tigers timeout, Rhett Williamson had an open look from the right wing and he made another three-point shot to tie the game.

"I usually just give them open reign to fire away," Stone said. "As long as he feels comfortable, I will let him go for it."

The Yellowjackets were unable to get off a shot in the final 15 seconds of the first overtime.

Green Forest was only able to score four points in the second overtime, all from the free throw line. Lopez made one of two with 3:06 remaining to give the Tigers the lead, 58-57. Hogan followed that up with 1:12 left by making two shots to lead for a 60-57 lead. Off a loose ball turnover however, Mountain View's Isbell made a three-pointer to tie the game at 60 with 20 seconds left. After Green Forest threw the inbound pass out of bounds, Wilson was fouled and made one shot with 12 seconds remaining. Hogan missed a three-pointer at the buzzer, which

would have won the game.

"I know we lost the game, but I mean this is one of those games these kids will be talking about for a long time," Stone said. "You don't get to be a part of games like this that often."

Hogan had 24 points. Nelson added 13.

The Tigers are hosting the Green Forest Holiday Tournament all week. They played Bruno Pyatt on Monday.


Mountain View 54, Green Forest 26

The Lady Tigers are looking for any momentum right now and it is hard to come by after last Friday's loss to Mountain View.

Mountain View took a 14-6 lead at the end of the first quarter and never looked back, leading 23-11 at halftime and 40-16 at the end of the third quarter.

"Right now, we have to show some improvement," Green Forest Coach Kyle Farrer said. "That is what we are trying to do."

Farrer said he isn't concerned with who is on the Lady Tigers' schedule; he just hopes to be able to work on the fundamentals and go from there.

"Something like shooting and rebounding is key right now," Farrer said. "Making shots is imperative for us."

Payton Watson led the Lady Tigers with seven points. Kelby Harness had five points and Josie Walker added three.

The Lady Tigers will travel to Marshall on Tuesday. Tipoff is set for 4:30 p.m.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: