Soccer teams end season at AAAA Region 1 tourney

Wednesday, April 24, 2002

Regional playoffs for high school soccer teams took place this past weekend, with the Eureka Springs Highlander team and the Berryville Lady Bobcat team playing on Saturday in Harrison.

The Highlanders, playing with just 11 players again, were knocked out 3-1 by the Dardanelle Sand Lizards. The Lady Bobcats played their best game of the season against the Mena Lady Bearcats, but lost in the last five minutes, 4-3.

The Bobcat boys' team was scheduled to play Monday at 5 p.m. against Greenwood, with the winner playing again Tuesday at the same time.


The Eureka Springs Highlander coed soccer team wrapped up its first season Saturday at the AAAA Region 1 Tournament in Harrison.

The Highlanders, seeded seventh, fell 3-1 to Dardanelle, who was seeded tenth.

"Some of our starters were missing," Coach Bill Featherstone said. "We just had 11 and no subs. That's tough for 80 minutes."

Featherstone reported that the team was down just 1-0 at halftime, after controlling the ball for lots of runs at goal after keeping the ball on their offensive end.

"We just couldn't get the ball in the net," Featherstone said. "We scored early in the second half to tie it at 1-1, then Dardanelle got a flukey golf and made it 2-1.

"We changed our defense because we were so shorthanded, and Dardanelle scored twice after we did that.

"Devon Tucker scored our lone goal off a direct free kick," Featherstone said. Featherstone and Mike Smith have coached the team all season, the Highlanders first in school competition.


"It was our best game of the whole season," Coach Tom Souden said. "We were up on them 2-1 at halftime, with Anabel Trujillo scoring both goals on run-throughs.

"They scored on a penalty kick in the second half to tie it up, with Evangelina Perez in goal, then Mena took advantage of Emma Cantele getting a yellow card (a warning for rough play), as she had to come out for a few minutes. We just had 11, so had to play with 10 for a while.

"Mena tied it at 2-2, then Stefanie Meister got her ankle stepped on and we had to take her out and tape it, so played with 10 again. Mena took advantage and scored to make it 3-2.

"Then Juanita Perez took a high shot from about 25 yards out that went over the goalie and we tied it at 3-all. Mena came back in the last five minutes and scored on a direct free kick after we made a mistake on defense, putting them up 4-3.

"We had several good runs on goal after that, but but couldn't finish. It was a great game, our best, and was played with high spirits," Souden said.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: