28 apply to become Bobcats’ new football coach
A total of 28 candidates have applied to become the next head football coach at Berryville High School — including two coaches currently employed by the school district as well as candidates from as far away as North Dakota.
The Berryville School District released the list of candidates on Monday in response to a request from Carroll County Newspapers.
The candidates include Ryan Whetham and Bryce Moorman, both currently coaches at Berryville. Whetham is the Bobcats’ defensive coordinator and head coach of the high school softball team, while Moorman is an assistant football coach and head coach of the high school boys soccer team.
Other notable candidates include Craig Laird, defensive coordinator at Prairie Grove High School; Spencer Adams, offensive coordinator at Farmington High School; Beau Collins, high school defensive coordinator and junior high head coach at Lincoln; and C Kennard, high school assistant and junior high head coach at Huntsville.
Prairie Grove, Lincoln and Huntsville are 4A-1 conference rivals of Berryville and Farmington is a 4A-1 member in every sport except football. Adams is the son of longtime Farmington coach Mike Adams, who is retiring at the end of this school year.
Other candidates are:
• Jeff Broyles, head coach at Panama, Okla.,High School
• Sean Cash, a student at the University of Arkansas at Fayetteville.
• Walker Cheevers, a graduate assistant coach at the University of West Alabama.
• Macklin Chermak, defensive coordinator at Coweta, Okla., High School
• Dan Childress, defensive coordinator at Ouachita Parish, La., High School and former assistant coach at Gravette and Huntsville.
• Danny Davis, enrollment recruiter at Dickinson State University in Dickinson, N.D.
• Ryan Disney of the Marshall (Texas) Independent School District.
• Jerry Ewing, offensive coordinator at Gosnell High School.
• Cody Fortner, offensive coordinator at Gurdon High School.
• Matthew Garrett, head coach at Two Rivers High School (Yell County).
• Erik Gibson, who was hired in January as head coach at Interlachen (Fla.) High School.
• Ruditsky Griffin, head coach at Bessemer City (Ala.) High School.
• James Harriman, defensive coordinator at Siloam Springs High School.
• Robert Harrison, co-defensive coordinator at Spring Hill (Texas) High School.
• Donatella Luckett, a former Harding University wide receiver who signed a professional contract as an undrafted free agent with the Kansas City Chiefs in 2015 but was waived before the regular season began. Social media indicates Luckett is now a student at Harding.
• Chaseton McCarthy, assistant coach at Glendale High School in Springfield, Mo.
• Larry Mueller, assistant coach at Monett (Mo.) High School.
• Bruce Munden, head coach at Fairland (Okla.) High School.
• Todd Scott, offensive coordinator at Dumas High School.
• Jake Snyder, assistant coach at Earle High School.
• Cody Sparks, outside linebackers coach at Henderson State University in Arkadelphia.
• Erik Matth, offensive coordinator at Valley City State University in Valley City, N.D.
Former Berryville coach Doug Shott’s resignation was accepted by the school district’s board of directors on Feb. 22. Shott was head coach of the Bobcats for four seasons, compiling an overall record of 8-29.
Superintendent Owen Powell said Monday that the district is beginning interviews and hopes to present candidates to the school board within the next month.
“The ultimate goal is to have somebody hired and possibly in place for spring football,” Powell said, noting that spring practices will be held in May. “We’re on a tight timeline. Our goal is to find the right person for the job.”
The next head football coach will be Berryville’s fifth since 2010.