Virus’ death toll in state nears 800
By Scott Loftis
More than 60,000 Arkansas residents have now tested positive for the COVID-19 virus and nearly 800 have died from it.
Gov. Asa Hutchinson announced at a news conference Monday in Little Rock that 368 Arkansans had tested positive for the virus in the previous 24 hours. Hutchinson also announced an additional 13 deaths, bringing the state’s total death toll from the virus to 797.
After seeing its lowest single-day increase in new cases on Aug. 24, the state saw a surge late last week. A total of 3,004 new positive tests were announced in a four-day span starting Wednesday, Aug. 26, and concluding Saturday, Aug. 29 — an average of 751 per day.
The state has 101 deaths in the seven-day period ending Monday, although state health secretary Dr. Jose Romero said that six of the deaths announced Monday were delayed in reporting. Romero said one of those deaths actually occurred in June and five in July.
Four hundred twenty Arkansans were hospitalized because of the virus as of Monday afternoon, an increase of 29 from Sunday but still well below the highest number reported by the state.
The Arkansas Department of Health website indicated that Carroll County had 465 cumulative cases as of Monday morning, with 47 active positive cases, 411 cases designated as recovered and seven deaths. The county’s cumulative case total rose by 33 over the previous week, with active positives decreasing by 14.