Fatal fire: Investigator: Victim likely died of smoke inhalation

Tuesday, February 4, 2020

By Scott Loftis

CarrollCountyNews@cox-internet.com

A Berryville man who perished in a house fire Sunday night likely died from smoke inhalation, a police investigator said, although that determination will have to be made by the state medical examiner.

Roger Haise, 76, died in the fire that occurred around 6 p.m. Sunday, Jan. 26, on McCloud Street.

Lt. Daniel Crawford of the Berryville Police Department said the fire was contained to the living room of the house. He said Haise suffered severe burns and “at this point, appears to have died from smoke inhalation.”

“I can’t say that for a fact until the medical examiner says that’s a fact,” Crawford said.

The body has been sent to the medical examiner’s office for an autopsy.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: