Berryville Chamber prepares for Oct. 27 awards banquet
The Berryville Chamber of Commerce set plans for the upcoming Chamber Banquet at its Tuesday meeting.
The chamber set the date for the banquet for 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. Thursday, Oct. 27, at the Berryville Community Center. Chris Claybaker, executive director of the chamber, said the chamber will sell only 200 tickets for the event.
He said the chamber decided to invite Mike Preston, the executive director of the Arkansas Economic Development Commission, to be the guest speaker at the banquet.
"We've already heard back from him. He's going to be there," Claybaker said. "It's a big deal."
He said the chamber has begun sending out emails for award nominees for the banquet. The chamber is presenting five awards, Claybaker said, and people can nominate up to two businesses for each. He said the chamber's board of directors will then determine the winner of each award from the nominations submitted.
The five awards are as follows:
* Noteworthy New Business: This award is presented annually to a business that has been open for less than a year and has brought a new positive impact to the community.
* Business Excellence: This award is presented annually to a business with more than 25 employees that sets an outstanding example of contributing to the local economy and the citizens in the area.
* Youth Ambassador: This award is presented annually to a youth, 18 years old or younger, whose actions reflect the best hopes for the future. He or she demonstrates leadership in the school setting, involvement in the community and academic excellence.
* Tom Earls Distinguished Ambassador: This award is presented annually by KTHS Radio in memory of Tom Earls to an individual whose life and work promote the area, whether through media or through direct contact with others.
* Business Beautification: This award is presented annually to a business that has contributed to the entire community through the attention paid to its building and landscaping or to a business that has refurbished a previously dilapidated building or property.
Claybaker said the chamber set the deadline for receiving nominations for the awards for Saturday, Oct. 1.
He said the chamber's new board members will also be announced at the Chamber Banquet.
"We will be nominating board members to replace the ones that have gone off. I believe there will be about two or three spots to be filled," Claybaker said. "Our new members will be announced at the banquet, so people have a chance to meet them."
The chamber's next regular meeting is scheduled for 8 a.m. Tuesday, Oct. 10, at Cornerstone Bank.