No injuries reported in Eureka Springs fire

Tuesday, November 18, 2014
Eureka Springs firefighters battle a fire that broke out in a workshop on County Road 108 last week. (Submitted photo)

No one was injured in a fire on Thursday, Nov. 13, that destroyed a workshop located next to a Carroll County residence, according to a news release.

Eureka Springs Fire and EMS spokesman Randy Ates said department personnel were dispatched to a fire shortly before 10:30 a.m. Thursday off County Road 108 in the Buck Mountain Community. The fire was in a medium-size workshop located next to a home.

"The homeowners ... stated that they had started a fire in the wood stove earlier in the morning," Ates said in the news release. "One of the residents looked toward the shop and saw a glow inside the building. On investigation they found a fire burning inside the 2,100-square-foot sheet-metal workshop. An unsuccessful attempt was made to fight the fire with a garden hose but the hose had frozen during the night.

"The shop was burning fiercely on the arrival of the first firefighters," Ates said. "Fire crews were able to make an interior attack and partially subdue the seat of the fire. Firefighters were withdrawn for safety shortly after entering the building when the center of the roof began to sag down into the structure. Siding was removed from the exterior and the fire was extinguished from the outside. The building is deemed a total loss. The fire was contained to the structure and there were no injuries."

According to the news release, more than 20 firefighters responded with two fire engines, three tankers, a brush truck, and two ambulances. Mutual aid was requested from Holiday Island Fire Department, which provided additional tanker support.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: