Mobile home destroyed by fire
EUREKA SPRINGS -- The winds were soaring and the temperature was crawling its way to 100 degrees as firefighters fought a combusting mobile home on County Road 214 near Inspiration Point on Wednesday.
The Worley family's home was destroyed but the blaze was kept from spreading, officials said.
Among the first on the scene was Inspiration Point Fire Chief Ed Thompson, who said the cause of the fire was uncertain, but it was probably electrical.
"When we arrived there were strong winds, and there wasn't much we could do," Thompson said. "Luckily nobody got hurt. We had to battle the heat for a while, other that that it was fairly routine."
Firefighters from Eureka Springs, Grassy Knob and Inspiration Point worked together to pour more than 20,000 gallons of water over the blaze to keep it from spreading to the surrounding forest and vegetation.
They were also concerned about the large propane tank near the fire, which they kept cool to avoid any explosions.
"The house burned totally to the ground, but the propane tank and the car parked in the driveway only a few feet away were untouched by the flames," wrote neighbor Genie Williams in an email to Carroll County News that saluted the bravery and dedication of the firefighters."I witnessed them in action ... with the heat index around 100 degrees, with the winds gusting and flames erupting in the air, they were fighting an inferno on the property next to my house."
Williams also wrote that the firefighters returned to the scene late that night with a flashlight to check for any hot spots that could ignite again. She described the firefighters as "truly amazing" and thanked them for their service.