It was too hot too be sitting outside. However, the Pedrazas have little choice since losing their home to a fire.
Firefighters from Green Forest and Berryville spent most of Thursday night battling the blaze at 701 S. Springfield Ave.
Green Forest Fire Chief Tim Howard said 21 volunteers, including four from Berryville, had responded to the fire, which is believed to have started in a bathroom electrical outlet. Howard speculated that a lightning strike might have been to blame. Storms Thursday night pelted the county with lightning, rain, hail and strong winds.
Neither of the Pedrazas speaks English. However, their daughter Ana said her family had lived in the home for the past 12 years and shared the building with six other family members.
The family was home when the fire occurred. She said they hurried to get the children outside when they realized there was a fire. Once in the yard, they saw smoke pouring from their roof. Though they tried to salvage some belongings, Pedraza said they were not able to save much.
Pedraza said staff members at Green Forest High School, where she is a senior, had also pitched in. Counsellor Becky Tharp has been collecting clothes and shoes for the younger Pedraza children, she said.
Other community members, who asked to not be identified, have also offered shelter and donated clothing and food.
"It's not easy going through this," Pedraza said, "but it's like my dad says - we just have to be strong and not get to feeling down, but it is hard."
Pedraza said her father planned to rebuild the home on their property.