Berryville Methodists celebrate homecoming
BERRYVILLE -- The public is invited to homecoming celebrations at Berryville United Methodist Church on Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 16 and 17, at 11 a.m. each day, according to event coordinator and church historian Jean Goins.
Former pastors will be on hand for a potluck dinner starting at 11 a.m. on Sautrday, with a program follwing, concluding at abotu 1:30 p.m.
On Sunday, all are invited to the 11 a.m. worship service and potluck dinner following.
Early settlers established the First Methodist Episcopal Church in Carroll County at Carrollton around 1840, four years after statehood.
Around 1851, the First Methodist Episcopal Church, South, was organized in Berryville. In 1866, the Methodist Church reorganized with the Rev. M. Arrington.
Many circuit riders made the rounds at that time. Between 1885 and 1888, Rev. James Hillary Cummings was pastor-in-charge of the Berryville Methodist Circuit, which covered several counties.
The Methodists used the Presbyterian Church for worship until 1897 when a frame building was erected on South Springfield Street. In 1908, this building was destroyed by a tornado, and a stone church and annex were built on the same spot.
In 1963, the membership started plans for a new church. The Basore property on Eureka Street was purchased and groundbreaking services were held on Jan. 22, 1967. In the fall of 1975, the Carroll County Rainbow School for Exceptional Children began classes in church, and in 1979 a fellowship hall was added.
On April 25, 1999, three stained glass windows for the sanctuary were dedicated, followed by three more which were dedicated on April 4, 2000. A stained glass window above the choir loft was installed in 2002, and in 2005 a large stained glass window above the balcony was dedicated. A new sound system was installed in August 2006.
The public is invited to come and renew old memories, Goins said.