Sanders Boyd Gibson

Thursday, January 26, 2006

SANDERS BOYD GIBSON was born Nov. 27, 1921, in Berryville to Homer and Gretchen Gibson. Boyd died on Wednesday, Jan. 18, 2006, at the age of 84. He was one of seven children. He was preceded in death by his father and mother, and his youngest brother, H.B. Gibson, Jr.

He is survived by his wife, BurnaDean Gibson, of El Campo, Texas; a son, Gerald Gibson of Clearfield, Utah; a daughter, Jan Charbula and husband, Gary, of El Campo; three grandchildren, Reygan Sharp, Kristie Cerny and husband Keith, Chad Charbula, and a great-grandson, Kolin Cerny, all of El Campo, Texas; his brothers, J.O. Gibson and wife Mary Ellen of Tucson, Ariz.; Jess Gibson and wife Mildred Gibson of Berryville; sister Christine Carter of Tulsa, Okla and sister-in-law Virginia Gibson of Berryville.

He served three years and three months in the 11th Armored Division of the 491st Army Field Artillery Batallion, European Theater, under General Patton. He received three Bronze Stars and the Good Conduct Medal. He was honorably discharged on Jan. 13, 1946.

In 1951, he began working for the United States Department of Agriculture's Livestock Division Meatgrading Branch. During that time, he lived in Montana, California, Utah and Colorado. He became supervisor in 1962 and received certificates of merit and cash awards for outstanding performance.

He married BurnaDean Ford on April 19, 1974, in Elko, Nev. He retired after 30 years in the meatgrading business in 1981.

After retiring, Boyd and Burnie moved to Rogers, Ark., where they lived for 17 years. During that time, they worked for Rocky Branch Corps of Engineers for eight years, where they were overseers of the Rocky Branch Park. They then worked for KOA Campgrounds, traveling all over the United Sttes and Canada. They enjoyed that challenging job for eight years.

They moved to Aransas Pass, Texas in 1996, and built a home at City by the Sea. In November 2004, Boyd and Burnie decided to move closer to their daughter for health and convenience, which brought them to El Campo.