Green Forest Junior Tigers get back on winning track

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

The Green Forest Junior Tiger football team put a "W" in the win column last Thursday night when they came from behind to squeak past the Gravette Junior Lions 12-10 in 1AAA action.

Green Forest (4-2, 2-2) got a huge 85-yard run from Caleb Goodman late in the third quarter that got the team to the 3-yard line. Two plays later Jacob Wallace scored to make it 6-10 after the PAT was missed.

After stopping themselves on the 1-yard line with a penalty in the fourth, the team didn't give up, and pounced on a loose fumble at the Lion 15 with just over two minutes left to play in the game.

Goodman got the call and went the 15 yards to paydirt to give the Tigers their first lead of the night, 12-10, but the PAT failed again.

Green Forest made their biggest break of the night when Colby Arnold stepped in front of a Lion aerial and ran the interception back to Gravette's 15-yard line.

When the team reached the 1-yard line, Coach Jay Martin had his quarterback kneel to kill the clock and end the game ---- but it wasn't all sportsmanship, just strategy.

"If we kneel, we keep the ball away from them," Martin said. "There was time on the clock, and they might get a runback if we scored and kicked to them. We were only eight points ahead, so they could have scored, gone for two, and tied things up."

Gravette started the scoring on a freebie from the Tigers, who fumbled the opening kickoff and downed the ball on their own 1-yard line. Two plays later the Tigers were caught in their own end zone for a safety and it was 2-0, Lions.

That score held up until the last minute of the third quarter, when Gravette scored to make it 10-0. Green Forest answered back, and it was a dogfight to the end.

"There were big hits by both teams," Coach said. "Zack Wagoner hurt his knee and didn't play on offense, but did a great job of blocking from his fullback spot."

Coach also said Mikey Kerby, at left guard, and Cody Howard at right guard, did an outstanding job of blocking. Center Terik Jones hurt his hand, but did a good job snapping the ball all night.

And on defense, Cody Kilgore and the line up front did a good job, Martin said.

"Coach Tony Coffey and Marc McCutcheon did an outstanding job with the lines," Martin added.


Coach Claude Whited didn't have good news to report, as the team lost to Gravette 22-8. Their lone score came when running back Frank Ollej dashed in from 40 yards out, then added a 2-point conversion.

"The kids are all trying and getting experience," Coach Whited said about his young crew.

Respond to this story

Posting a comment requires free registration: