High: 88°F ~ Low: 65°F
Wednesday, June 19, 2013
Sister rock: Seasoned pro, outstanding musician leads her band to Eureka this weekendPosted Wednesday, December 19, 2012, at 7:58 PM
Moonshine Mafia performs live on the ABC affiliate KATV-Channel 7 in Little Rock.
Moonshine Mafia, based in Hot Springs, will appeal to fans of Sheryl Crow, Bonnie Raitt, Susan Tedeschi, Grace Potter and the Nocturnals and Adele. It consists of five members and is led by Anna Jordan-Williams on guitar and vocals.
The band's music is very modern-blues-rock with a Southern jam flavor.
Jordan-Williams moved back to Arkansas with her band about two years ago from Dallas, where she'd been for about two decades.
While there, she opened for such acts as Grammy-nominated singer/songwriter Radney Foster, Texas country heartthrob Deryl Dodd and blues legend Gerry Moss and opened for several major country and rock artists ranging from Little Big Town to Uncle Kracker. A favorite recording and performing musician in Dallas, Austin and Houston, her experience and popularity there led to many touring opportunities in the United States and internationally.
Prior to returning to Arkansas, Jordan-Williams was a full-time musician, spending much of her time as a vocal and instrument coach for developing artists, including producing and managing young musicians for Ultrax Records and Septien School of Contemporary Music, both located in Dallas.
But Jordan-Williams has not always lived a musician's dream life. This ripped-up-jean-wearing rock-and-roll sister gave up the corporate rat race as the first step to her liberation, she says. She'd been performing professionally and coaching other musicians "on the side" for several years in addition to her full-time corporate job, life just "wasn't quite right," she told Nightflying's Sondra Goode last year.
"I grew a pair about five years back and finally put down the corner office," she recalled. "I wasn't living any more, my purpose was not being fulfilled. Yeah, I was playing, but my soul weighed less. It wasn't until I made the decision to go into music full-time that I kinda felt delivered."
Since relocating to Hot Springs, Jordan-Williams and her husband, Darin (who's also the band's drummer), have founded a new artist development and coaching business called Williams Studios that teaches and coaches musicians on vocals, guitar, bass, drums, and songwriting as well as teaches modeling and acting and works with artists on photo shoots, videos and other professional projects as needed.
The pair also offer artist management services, from individuals to full bands. The breadth of experience the two have earned over their decades of playing and working in the industry not only almost certainly would help any potential clients, but it definitely shows up in their music, making them seasoned pros.
The critics and others in the industry who've worked with them agree:
Matt Aslanian, award-winning producer/engineer for acts such as Shakira, OneRepublic and Kelly Clarkson, says of Anna Jordan-Williams and Moonshine Mafia: "Sultry and sweet. Fragile, yet bold -- always soulful -- Anna's voice shines in her performances. With beauty and charm to match, you'll be a fan within seconds!"
Nightflying Magazine's Sondra Goode writes: "Gospel, Bluegrass, Blues, Country, Rock... Arkansas has it all! This rich diversity of music, in one of the holiest of places on Earth, yielded a daughter of mixed breeds. Steeped in seeking three chords and the truth, educated on how to bargain with the devil, and understanding her mission, Arkadelphia native Anna Jordan-Williams has returned to spread the word!"
Following is the schedule of live music for entertainment venues in Eureka Springs:
THURSDAY, DEC. 20
* Chelsea's, 10 Mountain St., 479-253-6723: Jazz Night / Ugly Sweater Christmas Party, 9 p.m.
* The Lumberyard, 104 E. Van Buren: Violetta Lotus Burlesque, 7 p.m.
* Squid and Whale, 37 Spring St., 479-253-7147: Open Mic Musical Smackdown featuring Bloody Buddy and Friends, 7:30 p.m.
FRIDAY, DEC. 21
* Berean Coffee House, 4032 E. Van Buren, 479-244-7495: Live music, 7 p.m.
* Cathouse / Pied Piper, 82 Armstrong St., 479-363-9976: Matt Reeves with special guest Cole Reeves, 8 p.m.
* Chaser's, 169 E. Van Buren, 479-253-5522: Jeff Horton, 9 p.m.
* Chelsea's: Skinny Gypsies / End of the World Party, 9 p.m.
* Eureka Live!, 35 N. Main St., 479-253-7020: DJ & Dancing 9 p.m. to close
* The Lumberyard: DJ & Karaoke, 8 p.m.
* New Delhi Cafe, 2 N. Main St., 479-253-2525: Live music / Eureka Jazz Band for Jazz Funeral procession and party, 6:30 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Den, 45 Spring St., 479-363-6444: Scott Elliott, 7 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Tavern, 417 W. Van Buren, 479-253-8544: Jazz Funeral Party, 8 p.m.
* Squid & Whale: Charlie Don't Surf, Running With Scissors, Tang / End of the World Party, 7 p.m.
* Voulez-Vous Lounge, 63A Spring St., 479-363-6595: Ginger Doss, 9 p.m.
SATURDAY, DEC. 22
* Cathouse / Pied Piper: Matt Reeves with special guest Cole Reeves, 8 p.m.
* Chaser's: Skillet Lickers, 9 p.m.
* Chelsea's: Don't Stop Please, 9 p.m.
* Eureka Live!: DJ & Dancing 9 p.m. to close
* The Lumberyard: The Dirty Roots, 9 p.m.
* New Delhi Cafe: Springbilly, 6:30 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Den: John Harwood, 7 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Tavern: Karaoke with Tiny, 7 p.m.
* Squid and Whale: Moonshine Mafia, 8 p.m.
* Voulez-Vous Lounge: The Naughty Santa Party with costume contest and prizes, 8 p.m.
SUNDAY, DEC. 23
* Cathouse: Christmas Pub Crawl, 4 p.m. start time
* Eureka Live!: Customer Appreciation Night specials 5 p.m. to close
* New Delhi Cafe: Springbilly, 1 to 4 p.m.
* Squid and Whale: "Local Kine" Local Musicians Showcase, 7 p.m.
MONDAY, DEC. 24
* Chelsea's: Springbilly, 9 p.m.
Kristal's Northwest Arkansas Music Blog
- Blog RSS feed
- Comments RSS feed
- Send email to Kristal Kuykendall
Carroll County News Managing Editor Kristal Kuykendall is a longtime music writer and live music follower in Arkansas. In addition to her full-time journalism career, as a hobby she has formerly has covered live music around the state for Citiscapes magazine in Fayetteville; the statewide Celebrate Arkansas magazine based in Rogers; The Morning News of Northwest Arkansas; Little Rock entertainment website Do501.com; LoveLiveMusic.com; KATV Channel 7's "Good Morning Arkansas"; and Nightflying, the statewide entertainment monthly; as well as her own music blog formerly located at http://mojo-management.com/kstarsmusicblog. With Kristal's Northwest Arkansas Music Blog, she now writes about live music primarily in the Eureka Springs and Carroll County regions, and includes major shows coming to nearby areas such as Fayetteville and Branson as well.
Hot topicsBlues Weekend highlight: Cedric Burnside Project Friday night; & Earl & Them all weekend
(0 ~ 9:21 AM, Jun 13)
Awesome bands play two nights this weekend
Good cover bands and great original tunes this weekend -- and hip-hop! In Eureka!
Eureka weekend packed full of great roots, country and bluegrass music
A new night, a new band, a new name, and a banjo treat