High: 85°F ~ Low: 62°F
Wednesday, June 19, 2013
Stellar, unique bands in Eureka this weekend: Matt Smith Group and Trashcan BanditsPosted Wednesday, December 12, 2012, at 11:48 PM
Matt Smith of Fayetteville, left, poses with his recording partners on his newest album, world-renowned drummer Jeff Sipe of Leftover Salmon and Aquarium Rescue Unit fame and innovative bassist Reed Mathis of Tea Leaf Green.
Trashcan Bandits is an indie folk band with heavy gypsy and jazz influences and features four members on seven or more different instruments, including clarinet, mandolin and even the spoons!
The lead singer's deep, vibrato-filled voice is unusual for a bar band, but it transcends the environment. His voice reminds me of a cross between Louis Prima (from Disney's "The Jungle Book" soundtrack) and Tom Waits if they sang as one voice in a Las Vegas lounge with a gypsy-Irish theme. Some of their tracks sound like The Pogues meet The Stray Cats. Here's a song:
Trashcan Bandits, I'm told, put on a great, energy-packed live performance, and they'll do it all again this Friday night starting around 9:30 at Chelsea's. Admission is $5 and ages 21 and up are admitted.
On Saturday night, the outstanding and highly acclaimed, award-winning Matt Smith Group will take the Chelsea's stage for an evening of rock, blues, funk and jamband covers and originals. Here's a video of him performing at his CD release show last year:
Smith, originally from Harrison, has 24 years of guitar-playing under his belt, having started learning at age 11 under the tutelage of the Lovin' Spoonful's Phillip Smith (yes they are related) as well as, later, from jazz/country guitar virtuoso Clint Strong, known for his work with Merle Haggard.
More recently, Smith has spearheaded several projects and musical groups in Northwest Arkansas over the past decade, including the innovative rock/funk/reggae inspired band The Flip Off Pirates. They recorded several albums under Smith's leadership.
With his father, jazz guitarist Gus Smith, Matt recorded "Full Circle" featuring jazz standards, and the two perform regularly as a father/son jazz duo.
In 2008, Smith launched his first solo project, M.S.G. (Matt Smith Group), featuring original compositions. In 2010, Smith fulfilled a lifelong dream, recording M.S.G.'s "Now or Never" with world-renowned drummer Jeff Sipe (Aquarium Rescue Unit, Leftover Salmon, Jimmy Herring Band) and innovative bassist Reed Mathis (Tea Leaf Green).
Smith currently performs over 100 shows annually from solo and duo performances to band ensembles with a wide range in genres -- from jazz, reggae, blues, rock, to world music and beyond. He has toured nationally and has shared the stage with Michael Franti, Rob Wasserman, Jacob Fred Jazz Odyssey, Clint Strong, Jeff Sipe, Reed Mathis, Joseph Israel, Bob and Ziggy Marley alumni and many of Northwest Arkansas's finest musicians.
With his keen sense of improvisation, his ability to transcend genres, his incredible guitar virtuosity, and his refined compositional skills, Smith creates a signature sound that has captivated audiences for nearly two decades and has resulted in 10 Northwest Arkansas Music Awards and a place in the Northwest Arkansas Hall Of Fame.
The best part about Matt Smith Group's show Saturday night at Chelsea's? He's bringing some well-known, highly respected, OUTSTANDING musicians with him. On vocals and electric guitar will be Isayah Warford, of Isayah's Allstars and several other groups; on bass will be Dave Gesualdo of Mountain of Venus and Sarah Hughes Band; and Wes Bowlin on drums.
Expect to hear some riveting takes on popular hits by well-known musicians ranging from George Harrison to Michael Jackson to the Grateful Dead and Jimi Hendrix, as well as some originals.
Matt Smith Group's show at Chelsea's begins at 9:30 p.m. Saturday; admission is $5 and ages 21 and up are admitted.
Chelsea's is located at 10 Mountain Street, at its intersection with Center Street, in Eureka Springs. 479-253-6723.
Following is the live music schedule for Eureka Springs venues this weekend:
THURSDAY, DEC. 13
* Chelsea's, 10 Mountain St., 479-253-6723: Jazz Night, 9 p.m.
* Squid and Whale, 37 Spring St., 479-253-7147: Open Mic Musical Smackdown featuring Bloody Buddy and Friends, 7:30 p.m.
FRIDAY, DEC. 14
* Berean Coffee House, 4032 E. Van Buren, 479-244-7495: Live music, 7 p.m.
* Cathouse / Pied Piper, 82 Armstrong St., 479-363-9976: AJ Gaither's One Man Band, 8 p.m.
* Chaser's, 169 E. Van Buren, 479-253-5522: Karaoke contest finals, 9 p.m.
* Chelsea's: The Trashcan Bandits, 9 p.m.
* Eureka Live!, 35 N. Main St., 479-253-7020: DJ & Dancing 9 p.m. to close
* Jack's Place / Centerstage Live, 37 Spring St., 479-253-2219: Karaoke and DJ Goose, 8 p.m. till midnight
* The Lumberyard, 104 E. Van Buren: The Dirty Roots, 8 p.m.
* New Delhi Cafe, 2 N. Main St., 479-253-2525: Jazz Tech Ruins, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.; Big Bad Gina, 6:30 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Den, 45 Spring St., 479-363-6444: Skillet Lickers, 7 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Tavern, 417 W. Van Buren, 479-253-8544: Bad Jack Wicked / Ladies' Night, 7 p.m.
* Squid & Whale: TJ Kong and the Atomic Bomb, 8 p.m.
* Voulez-Vous Lounge, 63A Spring St., 479-363-6595: Smokin' Joliet Dave and the Mighty Mudhounds, 9 p.m.
SATURDAY, DEC. 15
* Cathouse / Pied Piper: AJ Gaither's One Man Band, 8 p.m.
* Chaser's: Muddy River, 9 p.m.
* Chelsea's: Matt Smith Group featuring Isayah Warford, 9 p.m.
* Eureka Live!: DJ & Dancing 9 p.m. to close
* The Lumberyard: One Night Stand, 9 p.m.
* New Delhi Cafe: Jazz Tech Ruins, 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.; Big Bad Gina, 6:30 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Den: Skillet Lickers, 7 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Tavern: Blew Reed and the Flatheads, 7 p.m.
* Squid and Whale: Little Zero and Gone Was Here, 8 p.m.
* Voulez-Vous Lounge: Swing And A Miss, 7 p.m.
SUNDAY, DEC. 16
* Chelsea's: Memorial party for Ernie Cleveland, potluck and open jam with the Skinny Gypsies, 2 p.m.
* Eureka Live!: Customer Appreciation Night specials 5 p.m. to close
* New Delhi Cafe: Magic Mule, 1 to 4 p.m.
* Squid and Whale: "Local Kine" Local Musicians Showcase, 7 p.m.
MONDAY, DEC. 17
* Chelsea's: Springbilly, 9 p.m.
Kristal's Northwest Arkansas Music Blog
- Blog RSS feed
- Comments RSS feed
- Send email to Kristal Kuykendall
Carroll County News Managing Editor Kristal Kuykendall is a longtime music writer and live music follower in Arkansas. In addition to her full-time journalism career, as a hobby she has formerly has covered live music around the state for Citiscapes magazine in Fayetteville; the statewide Celebrate Arkansas magazine based in Rogers; The Morning News of Northwest Arkansas; Little Rock entertainment website Do501.com; LoveLiveMusic.com; KATV Channel 7's "Good Morning Arkansas"; and Nightflying, the statewide entertainment monthly; as well as her own music blog formerly located at http://mojo-management.com/kstarsmusicblog. With Kristal's Northwest Arkansas Music Blog, she now writes about live music primarily in the Eureka Springs and Carroll County regions, and includes major shows coming to nearby areas such as Fayetteville and Branson as well.
Hot topicsBlues Weekend highlight: Cedric Burnside Project Friday night; & Earl & Them all weekend
(0 ~ 9:21 AM, Jun 13)
Awesome bands play two nights this weekend
Good cover bands and great original tunes this weekend -- and hip-hop! In Eureka!
Eureka weekend packed full of great roots, country and bluegrass music
A new night, a new band, a new name, and a banjo treat