High: 73°F ~ Low: 52°F
Friday, May 24, 2013
Stellar weekend ahead: Rockabilly and jazz are highlightsPosted Wednesday, September 12, 2012, at 3:30 PM
Steph Johnson, a gifted jazz guitarist, vocalist and songwriter whose parents live in Carroll County, will perform Friday and Saturday nights starting around 9 pm at Voulez Vous Lounge on Spring Street in Eureka Springs.
Friday at Chelsea's The Rumblejetts of Kansas City -- two-time winner of the Pitch Music Award for Best Country/Rockabilly Band -- will surely put on a helluva show for fans of rockabilly and classic pop-rock hits made for dancing.
For the past 14 years The Rumblejetts have been spreading the rockabilly gospel all across the Midwest. Here's a video of their live act:
The Rumblejetts have released several CDs, each recorded at the legendary Sun Studio in Memphis, Tennessee. (Sun Studio likes the group so much that the hard-working trio even was asked to play at the 50th Anniversary of Rock and Roll celebration at Sun Studio with Scotty Moore, DJ Fontana, Billy Swan, Sam the Sham, Issac Hayes and several other legendary Sun recording artists.)
In 2005, The Rumblejetts released "Roostina" and "Cool Down Baby" in 2006, both of which were critically praised by critics at such magazines as Ol' Skool Rodz, Rockabilly magazine, and Blue Suede News. Another acclaimed album followed in 2010, "Summertime Apples," and they just a few months ago released their fourth, "Motor Honey."
The trio has developed a strong following among custom car enthusiasts, playing numerous events for the hot rod gang.
The Rumblejetts opened for the Stray Cats and Brian Setzer Rockabilly Riot tour in 2007 and 2011, and for Dwight Yoakum about a decade ago.
Also in 2007, The Rumblejetts were selected as a finalist on the CBS Early Show's "Living Room Live" competition. The year prior to that, the band made the Top 10 on CMT's Studio 330 nationwide contest.
The Rumblejetts perform with high energy sets and fun on-stage antics, helping make them a favorite in Kansas City and the Midwest region. Pitch.com -- the Midwest's primary source for live music news and reviews -- says that "Live, The Rumblejetts throw together a staggering mix of uptempo rockabilly and classic Sun Records covers."
The band features Jason "49" Ford on doghouse bass, "Diamond" Jim Holopter on guitars, and Jud Kite on drums, all contributing vocals.
One critic writes: "Despite what is a loose-feeling presentation, these guys are also simultaneously tight -- a neat trick. Jud's drums and Ford's steady slap-bass work lay a great foundation for Holopter to play over, and there's not a cut on the record that wouldn't be a gas to dance to in the live show."
Check out this video of The Rumblejetts opening for Brian Setzer Orchestra:
The Rumblejetts show at Chelsea's begins around 9 p.m. and admission will be $5. Chelsea's is at 10 Mountain Street, on the corner with Center Street. And the dance floor is plenty big enough, so if you've got some swing dance moves, now is the time to bring it!
FRIDAY & SATURDAY: COOL JAZZ/FUNK
SPiNRaD, a jazz/funk/soul group from Springfield, Mo., headlines at Voulez Vous Lounge all weekend, and music fans will get warmed up by an outstanding jazz guitarist, vocalist and songwriter out of San Diego, Steph Johnson.
Pioneering a new blend of musical style, SPiNRaD incorporates rock, jazz, funk, and a lyricism that draws from influences such as Dave Matthews Band, Coldplay, and Black Keys. Touring many venues across the Midwest, their freshman effort, "Long Sleep the King," sold out within days of release, and their follow-up album, "Life Returns," is quickly following suit.
SPiNRaD is made up of accomplished and experienced musicians who take their love of music seriously and together are pursuing their highest aspirations.
This merge of musical genres produces a distinctive sound that encompasses the complex composition and minor tonality of jazz, the strong, rhythmic syncopation and groove of funk, and the dynamic sound and lyrics that create a strong emotional feel. SPiNRaD delivers an exciting musical experience, both in their albums and live performances, and they hope to make a lasting impression on today's music scene.
Opening up for SPiNRaD and likely to be sitting in with them as well will be Steph Johnson, who attended school briefly in Alpena during her younger years before moving out of state. Lately, she has been making waves in the San Diego music scene and touring all over the West and even in Mexico. Check out this story about Johnson by NBC correspondent Robert Bush.
Check out this video of Johnson giving an acoustic impromptu performance at the office of the Lovely County Citizen on Wednesday. (You can call all of us there "IMPRESSED"!)
Johnson has a modern lyrical style but clearly comes from classic jazz and soul / R&B influences: Aretha Franklin, Nancy Wilson, Tina Turner, Etta James, Ella Fitzgerald, Ray Charles, Cassandra Wilson and Donny Hathaway are those she counts among her biggest influences.
Johnson's first album, "Genesee," was nominated for a 2006 San Diego Music Award. Her song "In the Hood" -- recorded at Jason Mraz's house -- won the 2008 Your Song competition.
Her 2010 album "Mysterious Feminine" won Best Jazz Album at that year's San Diego Music Awards.
Here's a video introduction to Johnson, in case you're curious before you go check her out this weekend. If you go, enjoy the show and we will see you there! :)
Following is the entertainment schedule for Eureka Springs venues for the coming week:
Thursday, Sept. 13
* Chelsea's, 10 Mountain St., 479-253-6723: Blue Moon, 8:30 p.m.
* Jack's Place / Centerstage Live, 37 Spring St., 479-253-2219: Karaoke with DJ Goose, 8 p.m.
* New Delhi Cafe, 2 N. Main St., 479-253-2525: Dardanella, 6:30 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Tavern, 417 W. Van Buren, 479-253-8544: Bike Night / Karaoke with Big Dawg, 7 p.m. to 1 a.m.
* Squid and Whale, 37 Spring St., 479-253-7147: Open Mic Musical Smackdown with Bloody Buddy, 7 p.m.
Friday, Sept. 14
* Berean Coffee House, 4032 E. Van Buren, 479-244-7495: Live music, 7 p.m.
* Cathouse / Pied Piper, 82 Armstrong St., 479-363-9976: Jesse Dean and Jodi Andrews, 8 p.m.
* Chaser's, 169 E. Van Buren, 479-253-5522: Muddy Water, 8 p.m.
* Chelsea's, 10 Mountain St., 479-253-6723: The Rumblejetts, 9 p.m.
* Eureka Live!, 35 N. Main St., 479-253-7020: DJ & Dancing 9 p.m. to close
* Jack's Place / Centerstage Live: Red Ambition, 9 p.m.
* The Lumberyard, 104 E. Van Buren: Bike Night, 4 to 9 p.m. or later, food and drink specials, music and prizes
* New Delhi Cafe: Darrell Gleason, 6:30 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Tavern: One Way Road, 7:30 p.m.
* Squid & Whale: Black Water, 9:30 p.m.
* Voulez-Vous Lounge, 62A Spring St.: SpinRad featuring guest jazz guitarist and vocalist Steph Johnson of San Diego, 8 p.m.
Saturday, Sept. 15
* Cathouse / Pied Piper: Jesse Dean and Jodi Andrews, 8 p.m.
* Chaser's: Virgo Night with Eighties Rewind, 8 p.m.
* Chelsea's: Sam and The Stylees, 9 p.m.
* Eureka Live!: Live DJ and Dancing, 9 p.m. to close
* Jack's Place / Centerstage Live: Football on big screen / Red Ambition, 9 p.m.
* The Lumberyard: The Sean Clavin Band, 9 p.m.
* New Delhi Cafe: Dardanella, 11:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m.; Brick-Fields Band, 6:30 p.m.
* Rowdy Beaver Tavern (Highway 62): One Way Road, 7:30 p.m.
* Squid & Whale: Black Water, 9:30 p.m.
* Voulez-Vous Lounge: SpinRad featuring guest guitarist and vocalist jazz Steph Johnson of San Diego, 8 p.m.
Sunday, Sept. 16
* Eureka Live!: Customer Appreciation Night specials 5 p.m. to close
* New Delhi Cafe: Gospel Sunday Brunch with Brick-Fields Band, 11:30 a.m.; Magic Mule, 4-8 p.m.
* Squid and Whale: Stiff-Necked Fools (reggae from Shreveport, La.), 7:30 p.m.
Kristal's Northwest Arkansas Music Blog
- Blog RSS feed
- Comments RSS feed
- Send email to Kristal Kuykendall
Carroll County News Managing Editor Kristal Kuykendall is a longtime music writer and live music follower in Arkansas. In addition to her full-time journalism career, as a hobby she has formerly has covered live music around the state for Citiscapes magazine in Fayetteville; the statewide Celebrate Arkansas magazine based in Rogers; The Morning News of Northwest Arkansas; Little Rock entertainment website Do501.com; LoveLiveMusic.com; KATV Channel 7's "Good Morning Arkansas"; and Nightflying, the statewide entertainment monthly; as well as her own music blog formerly located at http://mojo-management.com/kstarsmusicblog. With Kristal's Northwest Arkansas Music Blog, she now writes about live music primarily in the Eureka Springs and Carroll County regions, and includes major shows coming to nearby areas such as Fayetteville and Branson as well.
Hot topicsGood cover bands and great original tunes this weekend -- and hip-hop! In Eureka!
(0 ~ 6:23 AM, May 17)
Eureka weekend packed full of great roots, country and bluegrass music
A new night, a new band, a new name, and a banjo treat
Fayetteville's The AMP announces Old Crow Medicine Show; tickets on sale Friday
Killer sister rock Friday, and awesome blues-boogie on Saturday