A Few Clouds ~
High: 81°F ~ Low: 61°F
Saturday, May 25, 2013
This Weekend In Live MusicPosted Friday, June 8, 2012, at 9:16 AM
Earl & Them headlines at Chelsea's Friday and Saturday nights this weekend.
* Squid and Whale Pub -- Dumptruck Butterlips, a rowdy bluegrass-party act that just played at Wakarusa, headlines here Friday night. Squid and Whale generally does not charge admission but when it does it's usually just $5. The bar is located at 37 Spring St., Eureka Springs, 479-253-7147.
FRIDAY & SATURDAY
* Chelsea's -- Earl & Them, led by the infamous Earl Cates of The Cate Brothers, headlines at Chelsea's both Friday and Saturday nights this weekend. Earl Cate was listed in Steve Cropper's Top Ten Guitar Players of All Time, after gaining fame with his twin Ernie as The Cate Brothers.
Writing and performing music for five decades, he has a unique style of playing that sets him apart, and his level of experience and professionalism is unmatched. He's played and toured with Levon Helm and The Band, Crosby Stills and Nash, Bo Diddley, Little Feat and many others. His bands have shared the stage with Queen, Fleetwood Mac, Boz Skaggs, Lynyrd Skynyrd and many other rock legends of our time.
Here's a video:
Earl & Them is a CAN'T MISS show. No word on how much admission is going to be, but it's usually about $5 on weekends. (Earl & Them is easily worth $10.)
Chelsea's is located at 10 Mountain St., Eureka Springs, 479-253-6723.
* Squid and Whale Pub -- Carnival of Soul, an alt-rock / indie rock band from Southwest Florida, plays around 9:30-10 p.m. They'll perform a mix of originals and covers from Elvis, Bill Haley and the Comets, The Beatles, Pink Floyd, Collective Soul, Nine Inch Nails and Foo Fighters. Sounds interesting and fun. Squid and Whale Pub generally does not charge a cover and is located at 37 Spring St., Eureka Springs, 479-253-7147.
* New Delhi Cafe -- The Carper Family from Austin headlines at 6:30 p.m. here Saturday. (They just headlined at George's Majestic in Fayetteville on Wednesday night.)
The Carper Family brings together three of Austin's most-talented young country and bluegrass singers and pickers: Melissa Carper [vocals, bass], Beth Chrisman [vocals, fiddle], and Jenn Miori [vocals, guitar] each grew up singing and playing music with their families. By the time they created their new "family band," each had already led her own band and sat in with some of Austin's finest musicians.
But this particular collaboration has blended stunning three part harmonies into the finest old-country, old-time, bluegrass, and swing tunes. Their boiled-down and intimate presentation highlights the quality of their united and solo voices, as well as drawing out each player's abilities with her accompanying instrument. Check out this video:
The group recently won Best Country Album in the 11th Annual Independent Music Awards; judges included Keith Richards, Tom Waits, Michael Franti, Del McCoury and many other industry giants.
No word on whether there's a cover charge, but I don't believe there is. Their phone was not working when I tried to call for this blog. :(
New Delhi is located at 2 N. Main St. in Eureka Springs, 479-253-2525.
Kristal's Northwest Arkansas Music Blog
- Blog RSS feed
- Comments RSS feed
- Send email to Kristal Kuykendall
Carroll County News Managing Editor Kristal Kuykendall is a longtime music writer and live music follower in Arkansas. In addition to her full-time journalism career, as a hobby she has formerly has covered live music around the state for Citiscapes magazine in Fayetteville; the statewide Celebrate Arkansas magazine based in Rogers; The Morning News of Northwest Arkansas; Little Rock entertainment website Do501.com; LoveLiveMusic.com; KATV Channel 7's "Good Morning Arkansas"; and Nightflying, the statewide entertainment monthly; as well as her own music blog formerly located at http://mojo-management.com/kstarsmusicblog. With Kristal's Northwest Arkansas Music Blog, she now writes about live music primarily in the Eureka Springs and Carroll County regions, and includes major shows coming to nearby areas such as Fayetteville and Branson as well.
Hot topicsGood cover bands and great original tunes this weekend -- and hip-hop! In Eureka!
(0 ~ 6:23 AM, May 17)
Eureka weekend packed full of great roots, country and bluegrass music
A new night, a new band, a new name, and a banjo treat
Fayetteville's The AMP announces Old Crow Medicine Show; tickets on sale Friday
Killer sister rock Friday, and awesome blues-boogie on Saturday